Jump to a section
Attendance is accessed from the teacher’s home screen during class hours.
The Class also has an Attendance link in the upper right.
Identify the late or absent students by clicking A or L. The remaining students can be marked Present by clicking the title of the Present column.
Teachers are reminded of the state of their class attendance on their Home Screen Calendar.
All Present indicates each student in the class was marked as Present on the attendance sheet. Has Incidents indicates some students have been marked as either Late or Absent on the attendance sheet.
Changing a student’s attendance state
After the teacher has submitted the attendance state, they can still edit the attendance state of their students. Sometimes a teacher may have accidentally marked a student present who is absent (or vise-versa). In other cases, a student may leave class early, becoming absent. Edsby attendance is equipped to handle either case.
Attendance for a student who leaves class early
Changing a student from present to absent when a student leaves class:
- Click the Absent (A) button beside the student’s name.
- Set the Selected Time to the time the student left class.
- Click on the drop-down box beneath Reason to select a reason for the students’ absence.
- Click Save. The student’s updated attendance status is sent to the office, including the time the student became absent.
Accidentally marking a student present
If a student was accidentally marked as present in a submitted attendance sheet:
- Click the Absent (A) button beside the student’s name
- Select Start of Class in the Attendance Change box
- Click Save to send the student’s updated attendance status to the office.
Note: If the attendance sheet is submitted to the office with a student accidentally marked absent when they should have been marked present, simply click P beside their name to change their attendance status to present.
Planned absence for an entire class
Teachers can create a planned absence for their entire class. This is a useful tool for reporting an entire class’ absence due to a school trip to the office.
Access the Attendance sheet by clicking Attendance in the upper right corner of the class.
Click Create Planned Absence.
The date will automatically be set to the current date. Click the calendar button to select a new date for the planned absence.
Set the start (From) and end (To) dates of the planned absence.
Set a suitable reason for the planned absence.
Confirming late arrivals on the attendance sheet
Some schools do not use Late Slips, and teachers are required to update the attendance sheet. When a student arrives late to class with Late Slip in hand, the teacher can confirm the student’s arrival time by clicking L. In this example, the Office has entered a comment that the student was issued a Late Slip at 10:25.
As a result of clicking L, the student is listed as late at the start of the class, and currently present. To adjust arrival time, click on the Present chiclet and change the time.
To record a student’s departure from class, do this:
- Open the attendance sheet and click A.
- The Attendance Change form appears.
- Click Save.
Taking attendance for another teacher
To take attendance for any class:
- Select Home.
- Select the link to Classes under the school name. The Classes Zoom link includes a count of the classes at the school, the example shows a school with 248 classes.
Teachers can locate the name of the class in several ways, including:
- Entering the name of the class or teacher in Search.
- Selecting a teacher’s name.
- Filtering the list to In Session and Attendance not submitted.
After locating the class name, click Take Attendance. Identify the late or absent students.
Click the Present column title and click Share with office.